The Temptations - Psychedelic Shack - Mini-LP Papersleeve CD Replica
Mini-LP Papersleeve CD Replica
Psychedelic Shack (1970) by The Temptations is the album which represents the bands’ full-blown submergence into psychedelia. Completely written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong and produced by Whitfield, Psychedelic Shack almost completely abandoned the “Motown Sound” formula; hard rock guitars, synthesizer sound effects, multitracked drums, sampling, and stereo-shifting vocals give most of the album’s songs a harder, less traditional feel than The Temptations’ previous work. Psychedelic Shack was the final album completed before the third incarnation of The Temptations (Dennis Edwards, Paul Williams, Eddie Kendricks, Melvin Franklin, and Otis Williams) broke apart. Like most Temptations albums from the group’s “psychedelic period”, producer Norman Whitfield held full creative control over Psychedelic Shack. The only freedom afforded the Temptations themselves for this album was the occasional opportunity for Kendricks to arrange the vocal harmonies. The album cover, a collage/illustration by Hermon Weems, places photographs of The Temptations in a depiction of a psychedelic shack: an establishment in urban neighborhoods where people could go to “enhance their minds” through art, music, and mind-altering drugs. Not much else can be said, except that this is an absolutely outstanding album –one which has stood the test of time, sounding as fresh as it did upon its initial release.
1. Psychedelic Shack (6:22) Lead singers: Eddie Kendricks, Dennis Edwards, Melvin Franklin, Paul Williams & Otis Williams
2. You Make Your Own Heaven and Hell Right Here on Earth (2:47) Lead singers: Eddie Kendricks, Dennis Edwards, Melvin Franklin & Otis Williams
3. Hum Along and Dance (3:51) Lead singers: Eddie Kendricks, Dennis Edwards, Melvin Franklin & Otis Williams
4. Take a Stroll Thru Your Mind (8:36) Lead singers: Eddie Kendricks, Dennis Edwards, Paul Williams, Melvin Franklin & Otis Williams
5. It’s Summer (2:35) (spoken vocals: Melvin Franklin)
6. War (3:15) Lead singers: Paul Williams, Dennis Edwards & Melvin Franklin
7. You Need Love Like I Do (Don’t You) (3:58) Lead singer: Eddie Kendricks
8. Friendship Train (7:58) Lead singer: Dennis Edwards
All songs composed by Norman Whitfield & Barrett Strong. Recorded between November 1969 and February 1970 at Hitsville U.S.A., Detroit, Michigan.