Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billie Joe
LIMITED EDITION LP
DELUXE 180-GRAM REISSUE including original artwork & credits
The Southern Gothic masterpiece ODE TO BILLIE JOE, by American singer-songwriter Bobbie Gentry, would top the Billboard album chart in 1967. Its ﬁrst single, the album’s title track, also topped the US pop chart for 4 weeks and received 8 Grammy nominations in 1967, resulting in 3 awards for Gentry (Best New Artist, Best Female Vocal Performance, and Best Contemporary Female Solo Vocal Performance), and one for arranger Jimmie Haskell (Best Arrangement Accompanying a Vocalist or Instrumentalist).
Elemental Music, together with Universal Music Group, presents the best selection of 60’s & 70’s classic pop-rock albums from the vaults of legendary labels such as MCA, Capitol, MGM, Imperial, Smash, Decca or Philips, among others.
1. MISSISSIPPI DELTA (3:06) (Bobbie Gentry)
2. I SAW AN ANGEL DIE (2:58) (Bobbie Gentry)
3. CHICKASAW COUNTY CHILD (2:47) (Bobbie Gentry)
4. SUNDAY BEST (2:45)(Bobbie Gentry)
5. NIKI HOEKY (2:47) (Jim Ford-Lolly Vegas-Pat Vegas)
1. PAPA, WONCHA LET ME GO TO TOWN WITH YOU (2:34) (Bobbie Gentry)
2. BUGS (2:09) (Bobbie Gentry)
3. HURRY TUESDAY CHILD (3:55) (Bobbie Gentry)
4. LAZY WILLIE (2:42) (Bobbie Gentry)
5. ODE TO BILLIE JOE (4:15) (Bobbie Gentry)
BOBBIE GENTRY (vocals & guitar). Original demo recorded by Bobby Gentry and Bobby Paris, early 1967. Overdub sessions made at Capitol Studio C, Hollywood, California, between May & July 1967.
Personnel: George Fields (harmonica & harp), Harold Diner, Barrett O’Hara (trombone), Jack Sheldon (trumpet), James Burton, Mike Deasy (guitar), Norman Serkin, Joseph Saxon, Jesse Ehrlich (cello & bass), Carl Nashan, Ralph Schaeffer, William Kurasch (violin), Dale Anderson (percussion) & Earl Palmer (drums).
Produced by Kelly Gordon
Arranged by Jimmie Haskell & Shorty Rogers Conducted by Jimmie Haskell
Engineer: Joe Polito
Released on September, 30th 2022.