Ahmad Jamal - Emerald City Nights - Live at the Penthouse 1963 - 1964
Official release supervised by Ahmad Jamal.
Never-before released Ahmad Jamal in the 1960’s Recorded at the Penthouse Jazz Club in Seattle.
Deluxe 2-CD digipack.
Ahmad Jamal Live at the Penthouse: Volume 1 and Volume 2 brings forth a collection of previously unissued recordings of the iconic pianist captured live at the hallowed Penthouse jazz club in Seattle, WA between 1963 and 1966 with trios featuring bassists Richard Evans and Jamil Nasser, and drummers Chuck Lampkin, Vernel Fournier and Frank Gant. The deluxe packages include extensive booklets with rare photos, liner notes by journalist Eugene Holly, Jr., and interviews with pianists Ramsey Lewis, Jon Batiste, Hiromi and more, plus producer Marshall Chess of Chess/Argo Records. These will mark the first 2 releases from producer and "Jazz Detective" Zev Feldman's new label venture Deep Digs Music Group, in partnership with Elemental Music.
1. JOHNNY ONE NOTE (10:29) R. RODGERS, L. HART
2. MINOR ADJUSTMENTS (7:20) R. EVANS
3. ALL OF YOU (6:07) C. PORTER
4. SQUATTY ROO (10:27) J. HODGES
AHMAD JAMAL piano, RICHARD EVANS bass, CHUCK LAMPKIN drums
RECORDED JUNE 20, 1963 AT THE PENTHOUSE, SEATTLE, WA
1. BOGOTA (12:17) R. EVANS
2. LOLLIPOPS & ROSES (7:45) T. VELONA
3. TANGERINE (8:15) V. SCHERTZINGER, J. MERCER RECORDED MARCH 26, 1964 AT THE PENTHOUSE, SEATTLE, WA
4. KEEP ON KEEPING ON (8:59) R. EVANS
5. MINOR MOODS (13:48) A. JAMAL
6. BUT NOT FOR ME (5:20) G. GERSHWIN, I. GERSHWIN
AHMAD JAMAL piano, JAMIL NASSER bass, CHUCK LAMPKIN drums
RECORDED APRIL 2, 1964 AT THE PENTHORecorded June 20, 1963 at the Penthouse, Seattle, WASE, SEATTLE, WA
Produced for release by ZEV FELDMAN
Co-produced by ANDREW STAYMAN
Executive Producers: AHMAD JAMAL, JORDI SOLEY and CARLOS AGUSTÍN CALEMBERT
Associate Producers: ZAK SHELBY-SZYSZKO, JOE ALTERMAN, JIM WILKE and CHARLIE PUZZO JR.
Released on December 2nd, 2022.
What media say about us: