27 Nov Gal Costa – Legal – Mini-LP Papersleeve CD Replica
Elemental Music presents a new LP reissue of Legal, the stunning third solo album by “the muse of Tropicália”, Gal Costa, released by Philips in 1970. This masterpiece is much more diverse than her previous records, displaying influences from American blues-rock, R&B, and soul, with winding, organ-driven rock closer to the sound Milton Nascimento would later latch onto and nurture with his Clube da Esquina albums. This diversity is welcome and served as a setup for Costa to further explore complex arrangements on her later.
The material on the album includes classics written by her close friends Caetano Veloso and Gilberto Gil (then exiled in the UK), and stellar MPB collaborations with artists such as Tim Maia, Erasmo Carlos, Naná Vasconcelos and Jards Macalé. The cover artwork was designed by the renowned Brazilian artist Hélio Oiticica. Legal should be sought out by those interested in the revolutionary late ‘60s/early ‘70s period of Brazilian rock and Tropicália movement.
01. EU SOU TERRÍVEL (Erasmo Carlos-Roberto Carlos)
02. LÍNGUA DO P (Gilberto Gil)
03. LOVE, TRY AND DIE (Gal Costa-Jards Macalé-Lanny Gordin)
04. MINI-MISTÉRIO (Gilberto Gil)
05. ACAUÃ (Zé Dantas)
06. HOTEL DAS ESTRELAS (Duda Machado-Jards Macalé)
07. DEIXA SANGRAR (Carnaval 1971) (Caetano Veloso)
08. THE ARCHAIC LONELY STAR BLUES (Duda Machado-Jards Macalé)
09. LONDON, LONDON (Caetano Veloso)
10. FALSA BAIANA (Geraldo Pereira)
11. VOCÊ NÃO ENTENDE NADA
GAL COSTA, vocals
CHIQUINHO DE MORAES, piano & orchestral arrangements
LANNY GORDIN, guitar & arrangements
JARDS MACALE, arrangements
CLAUDIO BERTRAMI, bass
NANA VASCONCELOS, percussion
NORIVAL RICARDO D’ANGELO, drums
With the special participation of ERASMO CARLOS & TIM MAIA on “Love, Try and Die”.